What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a long-term skin condition that primarily affects the face. Unfortunately, there is no cure for it, however it can be minimised. Rosacea is a form of hyper pigmentation and is characterised by:
- Episodes of flushing
- Burning and stinging sensations
- Permanent redness
- Spots (papules and pustules)
- Small blood vessels in the skin becoming visible
Who is affected by it?
Rosacea affects up to 1 in 10 people. It most commonly affects women and people with fair skin, and is usually first diagnosed in people aged 30 to 50.
What causes it?
The exact cause of Rosacea is unknown, however it has been suggested that it could be caused by abnormalities in facial blood vessels or a reaction to microscopic mites commonly found on the face.
Although not direct causes, the following factors have been found to worsen Rosacea:
- Exposure to sunlight
- Strenuous exercise
- Hot or cold weather
- Hot drinks
- Alcohol and caffeine
- Certain foods, such as spicy foods
There is currently no known cure for this skin condition, but treatment can help control the symptoms. Treatment may include:
- Avoiding known triggers– for example, avoiding drinks containing alcohol or caffeine, avoid witch hazel,methanol, peppermint, clove oil, and fragrance.
- Creams and gels– medications applied directly to the skin to reduce spots and redness
- Oral medications– tablets or capsules that can help clear up more severe spots, such as oral antibiotics
- Suncreams – Use physical sunblock such as titanium zinc, not chemicals as they irritate the skin
- Relax – stress increases the amount of blood in the layer of the dermis, and enhances the redness in rosacea
- Food – avoid hot spices, white and black pepper and wasabi, as they cause the skin to heat
- Smoking – quit smoking as the chemicals can enhance the redness
- Diet – try a high carbs, high protein and a no sugar diet. Fish oil and rapeseed can help
- Sleep – try to have 9 hours of sleep each night to reduce stress and calm your body
Products available from Appearances Aesthetics
IMAGE Skincare Vital C Hydrating Facial Cleanser
A pharmaceutical-grade, high potentency Vitamin C hydrating facial cleanser that gently removes makeup and impurities. Essential antioxidants and vitamins soothe dry, dehydrated and rosacea skin. Paraben free.
IMAGE Skincare Vital C Hydrating Anti-Ageing Serum
A hydrating serum that incorporates the new technology of oil-soluble Vitamin C with the highest bio-availability to immediately soothe the visible effects of environmentally damaged skin. Vitamins A, E and highly potent anti-oxidants nourish the skin to create a healthy, youthful glow. Paraben free.
IMAGE Skincare Vital C Hydrating ACE Serum
An advanced polypeptide/antioxidant formula of Vitamins A, C, E to promote hydration and reduce signs of aging. Paraben free.
IMAGE Skincare Vital C Hydrating Repair Crème
An ultra-hydrating anti-oxidant repair crème. Vitamins A, C, E nourish and protect skin daily for ultimate anti-aging benefits. Paraben free.
IMAGE Skincare Vital C Hydrating Enzyme Masque
A hydrating enzyme masque that gently exfoliates the buildup of dull, dry skin. Nourishing Vitamins A, C, and E promote healthier, m
ore radiant youthful skin. Paraben free.
How can we help?
Electrolysis can also be used to shrink the red veins in the skin and make them less visible. It does take approximately 12 weeks to improve.